Rhinosinusitis is the medical term for a sinus infection, or the inflammation of the air cavities that line your nose and skull—AKA: your sinuses. As the cavities and passages become swollen, germs, and bacteria become trapped. This is how infection occurs. Sinus infections, most typically caused by a virus, may lead to other health issues. Here are a few ways to tell if you might be suffering from a sinus infection:
Symptoms Can Include:
- Pain around your forehead, nose, or teeth
- Discolored nasal discharge that may pass through the nose or the back of the throat
- Bad breath as a result of the discharge draining through the throat
- Nasal congestion that makes it difficult to breathe through the nose
- Sore throat caused by irritation from the nasal discharge passing through the back of the throat which may lead to a cough
Sinus infections can last from a few days to a period of weeks. Over the counter (OTC) medications, such as nasal decongestant spray or saline spray, can help treat the symptoms of a sinus infection. Most sinus infections disappear on their own, however, untreated infections may lead to chronic sinusitis. If your symptoms last longer than a week or worsen, it is best to consult your ENT for proper treatment. Call AlexOTO today and find the best course of action for your health.